Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Raising Hope" debuts tonight


In addition to "Glee" and "Running Wilde," Fox is also debuting its new comedy "Raising Hope" tonight at 9 p.m. Since the opinions I laid out in my original Not for Review piece on the show back in July pretty much still stand, I won't say much more on the show here. It's still a little too goofy for its own good, and I still don't think the Cloris Leachman character works. However, Lucas Neff is likable as the lead, and his dedication to raising his newfound baby comes off as sweet and endearing (it could have been really creepy, so kudos to Neff).
I also still love the work of Martha Plimpton and Garrett Dillahunt as Neff's parents. And, actually, I will probably continue to watch the show just for them. Plimpton in particular is hilarious as the sort of no-nonsense white trash matron who hasn't fixed the hole in the bottom of her car in the course of 20 years. There are also some fairly funny lines (Dillahunt and Plimpton's exchange about Charles Manson was revealed in the pilot, but it still made me laugh, even though I saw it coming).
So, overall, I still think the show needs work, but it's promising enough to warrant a look.

1 comment:

Wandering Waldo said...

Appreciate your blog poost