Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts on Desperate Housewives' 100th episode


Just some quick thoughts on last night's episode of Desperate Housewives, the 100th episode in the series.
I'm probably the only one, but I really enjoyed this anthology-style episode of the show. It didn't further any of this season plotlines, but I liked the device of using the death of a neighborhood handyman (played by the ever-reliable Beau Bridges) to shed some light on the backgrounds of the housewives. The episode reminded me of a collections of interlocking short stories, a format of literature I really enjoy. We learned a little about how Gabby integrated herself with the other women; why Lynnette was a stay-at-home mom at the start of the series; why Bree wrote a cookbook and, most intriguingly, that Edie was once married to a gay man (did we know this before? I was kind of shocked by that twist).
The little vignettes were sort of sweet and tender and I found them very entertaining. I also loved seeing some of our old, dead friends returned from the grave: Mary Alice, Rex and Mrs. Huber (what, no Ida?).
All in all, it was a light, but entertaining installment of the show. Thoughts?

No comments: